1980 - 1989

1980 (Photo Album)
WSU Crew had another successful year at the IRA National Championship in Syracuse, New York. WSU's pair with coxswain won (What other teams were there?). The coxswain, ???, was the first woman at WSU to win a national championship. The crew came to shore after practice the first day and with too many oars going in and out of the water at the same time, the shell rolled over right in front of the Syracuse boathouse. The coxswain was mortified, but the crew walked away with success and everybody had a great time.

Beating the Huskies

At Wisconsin

Opening Day

1981 (Photo Album)
1981 was a busy and successful year for WSU Cougar Crew. The WSU JV 8 finished 4th in the Pac-10, WSU Lightweight 8 took 2nd in the Pac-10, WSU V4+ finished 4th at the IRA Championship in (1981?), and the WSU V4- took 5th at the IRA Championship (1981?).

Andy Kirk, Tim Malkow, and Mike Noble attended the Lightweight National Selection Camp in Syracuse, New York in 1981.

John Holtman attended the Heavyweight National Selection Camp in Madison, Wisconsin.

A straight four, a four without a coxswain, is usually steered by either the bowman or stroke. Zeiler was the bowman and was responsible for steering. May we say that it was not the straightest of courses. A signature was scribbled across the lane, back and forth to the finish line. To better the trip, at practice on Wednesday, Navy was watching one of the WSU boats and shouted, "watch out! You're heading toward shore!" Moments later, the boat disappeared under a willow tree. The bow got planted on a mud bank between two large rocks. Miraculously the boat was undamaged, but it was then that the team decided that coxswains were a necessity. (What race was this at?) 1976 graduate Paul Enquist won the senior men's singles at nationals in this year. Enquist is in several Halls of Fame, including the Olympic Hall of Fame, the Rowing Hall of Fame, the Seattle Hall of Fame, among others.

On the way to San Diego

1982 (Photo Album)
In 1982 the team began looking for sites for a new shell house above the dam. The main sites being considered were Wawawai Park in the lagoon area and Wawawai Landing, closer to Granite Point. The team decided on Wawawai Landing as the site, plans were started on design, and bids went out for construction.

In the late summer before school started, the first row-a-thon took place. Beginning in Lewiston, ID and hoping to end in Portland, OR, the team was theoretically trying to raise money by rowing a legitimate distance. However, it didn't turn out quite as successful as they had hoped. The team barely broke even. Worse, they discovered that to be even moderately comfortable, three stadium seat cushions per person were needed. With pairs sitting out, the crew would row for 50 minutes and rest for ten. It was an interesting turn of events when they got down to Bonneville dam as they were trying to avoid the turbines.

When the team was taking a break at the Columbia mall, Edbeck called for a gator (where everyone lays on their backs and flails their legs around) in the middle of the shopping center. Horrified to be associated with the antics of his rowers, Struck exited to the first available shop, which happened to be a women's lingerie boutique. Next year Edbeck tried the same trick again, hoping to see Struck in another lingerie boutique, but the event was stopped at the Tri-Cities, after the shell split apart in a high windstorm.

On Onondasa Lake in Syracuse, New York, WSU's Varsity 4 placed 3rd in the Petite Final, the Varsity Pairs (with coxswains) took 2nd place in the Grand Final and the Freshman 4 finished 4th in the Grand Final at IRA's June 3rd through 5th.

1983 (Photo Album)
No current information...

1984 (Photo Album)
During the night before Enquist's finals, the Shell House was burned down. Struck was in the Tri-Cities when he was informed of the tragedy. Although the Shell House wasn't in full use, the team was preparing to move into it in 1984. The walls remained standing, but the whole building had to be demolished because of the damages. Reconstruction of the Shell House began in Spring.

Paul Enquist won the double sculls at the Los Angeles Olympics.

The Fawley Cup was created as a mid-Fall duel between WSU and Gonzaga University. The duel was named for the midpoint in the Royal Henley regatta race course. Gonzaga bought the cup and Struck bought the base. Siconalfi was the first coach at Gonzaga, and together with Struck the duel was created. Siconalfi initially wanted just Varsity men to compete, but Struck wanted the duel to be for all events, both men's and women's. For the first couple of years all events were competed. WSU crew got off to a good start at the fist duel and won the Cup trophy. (Is this the year the duel started?)

1985 (Photo Album)
The Wawawai Shell House was reconstructed in March of 1985 and is where the WSU men and women currently practice.

Upon completion of the new Shell House, a time capsule was planted, located under the Northwest Corner of the property. Each team member included an item in a five gallon plastic bucket.

The team took on another Row-A-Thon attempt, from Lewiston, ID to Vancouver, WA...more information please...

1986 (Photo Album)
65 men and 9 coxswains began winter training in 1986.

1987 (Photo Album)
From 1987 to 1989 the JV Lightweight 8 won the Grand Final at the Pac-10 Championships.

The Meinhart fund was donated.

1988 (Photo Album)
WSU Crew had an exciting foreign experience at races in the University Sports Festival in Istanbul, Turkey. Forty people, both men and women, traveled to the Bozacizi University sports festival. There were two 8s of men and two 4s of women. The team practiced on the Bosborus Strait between Europe and Asia. After one practice, they came back and reported that one of the 8s was airborne in the wake of a Russian military steamer. The exaggeration turned out to be the crew racing against a Turkish Olympic team, who cheatingly wore Bozacizi University shirts.The water on which the crews raced and practiced was so polluted that the men and women had to wash off after docking. The WSU women were successful with 1st and 2nd place wins, with the Russian team very much in 3rd place. Struck's favorite part of the trip was quite ironic. The Turkish men tried to get the American women drunk after a day of racing. Without knowing what they were getting themselves into traveling across the world, a nurse was brought along the trip, who happened to be a former rower. The Turkish men passed out after a long night and spent the night with the nurse while the WSU women went out for a nice dinner. Looks like the Turkish men didn't get lucky this time. The Chancellor deeply apologized to Struck on behalf of his men, but Struckmeyer thought it was amusing and told him that, "everything will be okay."

Crew alumni Gene Dowers and Carleen Anders rowed approximately 500 miles from Kaneta, British Columbia to Wawawai Landing on the Snake River in 1988.

1989 (Photo Album)
The WSU Crew traveled back to Istanbul, Turkey for more racing. Due to a big rain and wind storm that hovered over the city for an entire week, the crews never got the opportunity to race.

Copyright © 2016 by WSU Cougar Crew. All Rights Reserved